1229 Brief Encounters/The Long Farewell: Two Films by Kira Muratova

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

1229 Brief Encounters/The Long Farewell: Two Films by Kira Muratova

#1 Post by swo17 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:36 pm

Brief Encounters/The Long Farewell: Two Films by Kira Muratova

Nobody made films like Kira Muratova. Uncompromising and uncategorizable, the Ukrainian iconoclast withstood decades of censorship to realize her singular vision in hypnotically beautiful, expressionistically heightened films that remain unique in their ability to evoke complex interior worlds. Her first two solo features, Brief Encounters and The Long Farewell, are fascinatingly fragmented portraits of women navigating work, romance, and family life with a mix of deep yearning and playful pragmatism. Long suppressed by Soviet authorities, these films became legendary—along with their maker—and they now make for a revelatory introduction to this most fearlessly original of artists.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New 4K digital restorations, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition
• Interviews with scholars Elena Gorfinkel and Isabel Jacobs
• Archival interview with director Kira Muratova
• PLUS: An essay by film critic Jessica Kiang

Brief Encounters

Kira Muratova's first solo feature already displays her sui generis approach to cinema, in an impressionistic portrait of women at work and in love. Through an intricate play of flashbacks and shifting perspectives, Brief Encounters reveals the tangled romantic triangle that connects a hard-nosed city planner (played by Muratova herself), her free-spirited geologist husband (legendary Soviet protest singer Vladimir Vysotskiy), and the young woman from the countryside (Nina Ruslanova) whom she hires as her housekeeper. Blending observational realism with striking New Wave–style experimentation, Muratova crafts a wryly perceptive study of two very different women bound by chance and each navigating her own career, dreams, and disappointments.

The Long Farewell

With its daring formalist freedom, Kira Muratova's pointillist family portrait so perplexed and unnerved Soviet censors that it effectively halted her career for years afterward. A kind of psychological breakup movie, The Long Farewell traces the growing rift that develops between an emotionally impulsive single mother (stage legend Zinaida Sharko, transcendent in one of her first film roles) and her increasingly resentful teenage son (Oleg Vladimirsky), who upends her world when he announces that he wishes to live with his faraway father. The seemingly simple premise is rendered anything but by Muratova's dreamy, drifting style, with off-kilter framing, editing, and dialogue continually pushing cinema's aesthetic and expressive boundaries outward.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 1229 Brief Encounters/The Long Farewell: Two Films by Kira Muratova

#2 Post by swo17 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:02 pm

Everyone please buy this so we can get more Muratova!

Asthenic Syndrome
Melody for a Street Organ
Chekhovian Motifs
Three Stories
etc.

Peacock

#3 Post by Peacock » Wed May 15, 2024 2:19 pm

So this has identical extras to the Studio Canal Blus but with the added bonus of a booklet and most excitingly a Muratova interview?

therewillbeblus

#4 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed May 15, 2024 2:25 pm

Are these ideal entries into Muratova's work, or is there a better recommendation to start with?

TechnicolorAcid

#5 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed May 15, 2024 2:39 pm

Surprised no one’s released The Asthenic Syndrome outside of an old Russian DVD especially since a case could be made that it’s her most iconic work and I’m definitely getting this in hopes that release does actually happen.

hearthesilence

#6 Post by hearthesilence » Wed May 15, 2024 2:47 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:25 pm
Are these ideal entries into Muratova's work, or is there a better recommendation to start with?
A bit of a tough call. They're good and they're her first films, but I think her greatest work is her later films which were markedly bolder and more adventurous. I guess by default I'll have to say "yes" simply because they'll be available in excellent quality, which sadly can't be said for a lot of her work, at least here in the U.S. If you only see one, The Asthenic Syndrome would be my pick.

therewillbeblus

#7 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed May 15, 2024 2:49 pm

That one's been in my kevyip for a while - thanks!

Yakushima

#8 Post by Yakushima » Wed May 15, 2024 4:33 pm

I am overjoyed that Muratova's cinema finally reached the US shores. Hopefully, many more of her wonderful films will be released here soon. I am definitely double-dipping with this set.
therewillbeblus wrote:
My entry point was The Tuner (Настройщик), a marvelous B&W tragi-comedy about small-time conmen and their willing victims, a moral play showcasing interactions between the ruthless New Russians, fully adapted to the free-for-all reality of the post-Perestroyka years, and the remnants of Soviet intelligencia who are completely unprepared for this harsh new world.

I was hooked forever.

The other great films to start out with Muratova could be Getting to Know the Big, Wide World (1980), The Sentimental Policeman (1992), Passions (1994), Two in One (2007), Three Stories (1997), and Vtorostepennye lyudi (2001).

therewillbeblus

#9 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed May 15, 2024 4:46 pm

Thanks, I was wondering about the later works - my lib has The Tuner and Two in One, so I'll take those out tomorrow

Yakushima

#10 Post by Yakushima » Wed May 15, 2024 6:26 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 4:46 pm
Thanks, I was wondering about the later works - my lib has The Tuner and Two in One, so I'll take those out tomorrow
Great choices, therewillbeblus! I hope you will enjoy both of these.

furbicide

#11 Post by furbicide » Wed May 15, 2024 8:33 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
I would say unequivocally yes – both are strong, fully formed films (The Long Farewell is particularly devastating). Like a couple of the posters above I’d have Asthenic Syndrome as my favourite of hers, but I see no reason not to start with the early works and progress from there.

Sadly I’m not sure I’ll get this one as I already have the StudioCanal releases. But the packaging looks gorgeous!