Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics

#5151 Post by soundchaser » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:04 am

No news on the release date for Has Anybody Seen My Gal?, I’m assuming?

sabbath

#5152 Post by sabbath » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:30 am

soundchaser wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:04 am
January 9th, 2024.

https://kinolorber.com/product/has-anyb ... al-edition

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#5153 Post by soundchaser » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:03 am

sabbath wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:30 am
soundchaser wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:04 am
January 9th, 2024.

https://kinolorber.com/product/has-anyb ... al-edition
Fantastic; thanks!

FrauBlucher

#5154 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:06 am

A Paramount title...
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

LET’S DANCE (1950) Starring Fred Astaire, Betty Hutton, Roland Young & Ruth Warrick – Shot by George Barnes (Samson and Delilah) – Screenplay by Allan Scott (Top Hat) – Directed by Norman Z. McLeod (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The Paleface).

captveg

#5155 Post by captveg » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:35 pm

One that never got a DVD release in the US. Hopefully more such releases will be part of this latest deal.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#5156 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:56 pm

Yes, I hope it’s not just titles already released by Olive and Imprint

yoloswegmaster

#5157 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:02 am

Next title to receive a 4K UHD release is Gunfight at the O.K. Corral

dwk

#5158 Post by dwk » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:48 pm

KLSC announced that next year they are releasing del Toro's Mimic on UHD.

therewillbeblus

#5159 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:55 pm

dwk wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:48 pm
KLSC announced that next year they are releasing del Toro's Mimic on UHD.
That's cool, long overdue

JSC

#5160 Post by JSC » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:55 pm

And now Kindergarten Cop announced. Just think... meme makers everywhere
will be able to upgrade to 4K!

https://kinolorber.com/product/kindergarten-cop-4kuhd

TMDaines

#5161 Post by TMDaines » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:08 pm

How do people outside North America get their Kino Blu-rays? I see they regularly sell many of them cheap on their own website, but apparently cancel any orders with a shipping address out of North America. Amazon is now so expensive as you are forced to buy from Amazon UK at greatly inflated prices, rather than from Amazon US.

EddieLarkin

#5162 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:16 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:08 pm
How do people outside North America get their Kino Blu-rays? I see they regularly sell many of them cheap on their own website, but apparently cancel any orders with a shipping address out of North America. Amazon is now so expensive as you are forced to buy from Amazon UK at greatly inflated prices, rather than from Amazon US.
https://www.stackry.com/

Ordering a large amount in a Kino sale I typically pay less than £10 per disc once fees and shipping are included. Just remember to declare the value under £135 to avoid customs charges.

Peacock

#5163 Post by Peacock » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:57 pm

Thanks Eddie, i’ll check that out. (Edit: just saw, it’s a reshipper company as well! Makes sense)

I’m in the UK and have been ordering almost all my US blu-rays via Planet Express, a reshipment company. They charge $5 to become a premium member and then you can store and consolidate multiple packages for a few dollars each, remove any invoice slips and ship them via FedEx etc.

Honestly works out similar to how much I was spending on shipping from B + N when placing large orders.

Obviously this only works out well when you are buying fairly large quantities, I will sometimes do the Kino sale then a Criterion one and an Amazon order, consolidate it all and ship them in a oner. I have only been hit by customs once in the last few years and it was for much less than what it would be had I been caught when shipping them directly…

TMDaines

#5164 Post by TMDaines » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:45 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:16 pm
TMDaines wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:08 pm
https://www.stackry.com/

Ordering a large amount in a Kino sale I typically pay less than £10 per disc once fees and shipping are included. Just remember to declare the value under £135 to avoid customs charges.
Is that even when paying about $30-40 for Stackery to reship?

EddieLarkin

#5165 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:49 pm

TMDaines wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:45 pm
Is that even when paying about $30-40 for Stackery to reship?
Yes, that's all in. A typical Kino Blu-ray is $9.99 when on sale, delivery is free and there's no taxes to ship to Stackry due to the state they're located in (NH).

So an order of 20 Blu-rays is $200 to Kino, $40 to Stackry, plus a savvy customs declaration, equals £10 a disc.

FrauBlucher

#5166 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:11 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:06 am
Coming January 30thon Blu-ray!
Brand New Restoration - From a 16bit 4K Scan of the 35mm Nitrate Composite Fine Grain

Scarlet Street (1945) Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett & Dan Duryea – Shot by Milton R. Krasner (The Woman in the Window) – Directed by Fritz Lang (The Big Heat).
This is getting a 4K release

What A Disgrace

#5167 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:13 pm

I can't wait to buy this movie a third time, it gets better on each format.

Finch

#5168 Post by Finch » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:14 pm

Kino have been so disappointing with their 4k releases this year that I'd honestly get a MoC BD of the new Scarlet Street instead if Eureka choose not to release it in 4k itself though Fritz Lang has been a strong seller for MoC and it'd be their second noir in 4k.

TechnicolorAcid

#5169 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:44 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:14 pm
Kino have been so disappointing with their 4k releases this year that I'd honestly get a MoC BD of the new Scarlet Street instead if Eureka choose not to release it in 4k itself though Fritz Lang has been a strong seller for MoC and it'd be their second noir in 4k.
I’m not exactly familiar with Kino’s 4Ks so what are the typical problems with their 4K discs if I may ask? Just asking because I’ve generally heard positive things about their releases with the exception of the occasional lack of HDR.
Last edited by TechnicolorAcid on Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finch

#5170 Post by Finch » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:20 pm

One common complaint is the audio where no original track is often provided, just a downmix (stereo to mono as opposed to the actual mono), and encoding can vary from title to title. Often, other boutique labels offer more and better extras, too. Definitely a quantity over quality label. I'm glad they exist because they do cover a lot of titles and not everything they have necessarily gets released by the competition but they could be doing better. A UK boutique label will at the very least have a booklet and a video piece on Scarlet St while the Kino may only have an audio commentary.

TechnicolorAcid

#5171 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:38 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:20 pm
One common complaint is the audio where no original track is often provided, just a downmix (stereo to mono as opposed to the actual mono), and encoding can vary from title to title. Often, other boutique labels offer more and better extras, too. Definitely a quantity over quality label. I'm glad they exist because they do cover a lot of titles and not everything they have necessarily gets released by the competition but they could be doing better. A UK boutique label will at the very least have a booklet and a video piece on Scarlet St while the Kino may only have an audio commentary.
Okay thank you for filling me in, very much appreciated.

ryannichols7

#5172 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:30 am

Finch wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:20 pm
echo every word of this - I grab a good few of KLSC's UHDs, and do look forward to Lost in Translation from them, but if I know one of the UK labels is putting out a competing edition, I'm gonna go for that just about every single time. I appreciate their dedication to recording commentaries (even if the quality varies wildly) but usually the UK labels will pack on a commentary and a slew of other extras, not to mention a booklet and usually great packaging. I know I'm getting my money's worth. aside from a few hiccups (Force 10 From Navarone from Indicator, Tartuffe and The Last Laugh from MOC), this has been fail safe. one only has to look at Indicator's recent treatment of Paramount (via Universal) titles that KLSC also released. at the end of the day, I'm pretty thankful for Kino and own plenty of KLSC and Kino Classics releases, but I'm never gonna expect the highest standard from them, realistically. when they hit it (the Kubricks, Force of Evil, etc) I'm all in, but I am always left wanting more whenever those discs finish

I can absolutely see MOC releasing Scarlet Street on UHD - their dedication to Lang is very impressive and this is one of his biggest Hollywood films, if not the biggest. I don't think they'd have any issue selling through one of their 3000 copy hardbox editions

senseabove

#5173 Post by senseabove » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:05 am

The only reason I have a shred of belief that isn’t a mistake is that the Insider posted on the other forum after someone mentioned it and didn’t kibosh it. Otherwise, how the hell The Long Goodbye (with 2x the IMDb ratings and 4x the LB views) is a preposterous suggestion for 4k yet Scarlet Street isn’t I’ll never understand.

ryannichols7

#5174 Post by ryannichols7 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:21 am

senseabove wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:05 am
The only reason I have a shred of belief that isn’t a mistake is that the Insider posted on the other forum after someone mentioned it and didn’t kibosh it. Otherwise, how the hell The Long Goodbye (with 2x the IMDb ratings and 4x the LB views) is a preposterous suggestion for 4k yet Scarlet Street isn’t I’ll never understand.
The Long Goodbye, ditto McCabe and Mrs. Miller I think would be a disaster for UHD based on their very unusual visual technique. if Vilmos Zsigmond was still with us, then absolutely I think it could be done with his approval. but I don't see The Long Goodbye being a success, given how the more recent KLSC completely slaughtered the intended look of the film. but someone who is a little more tech savvy may have a better answer

I say all of this as a massive, massive fan of The Long Goodbye who would buy any edition of it loaded to the gills. the "flashing'" technique was totally nailed by Criterion with their McCabe disc, honestly one of their best achievements. I don't think we can trust Kino to pull that off unfortunately

jheez

#5175 Post by jheez » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:48 am

ryannichols7 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:30 am
The Last Laugh
Is the Kino superior to the MOC?