'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism both old and new, as well as memorializing public figures we've lost.
knives

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#4051 Post by knives » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:48 pm

I haven't seen Jojo yet, but literally none of his other films could be described that way whatsoever and shows that uninformed criticism is a two way street. If anything he's closer to a PG John Waters or Peter Jackson.

swo17

#4052 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:51 pm

I don't think they're that similar stylistically--it's more the sense of humor and obviously the whole sense of children acting like adults and adults acting like children

zedz

#4053 Post by zedz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:18 pm

knives wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:48 pm
I haven't seen Jojo yet, but literally none of his other films could be described that way whatsoever.
Eagle Vs. Shark? (I mean, I found it quite sweet, but it is extremely derivative of a whole strand of quirky American indie cinema bubbling around Anderson.)

knives

#4054 Post by knives » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Like you say that's, at best, adjacent. I'd actually argue it as much closer to something like the Duplass brothers.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#4055 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:34 pm

The similarities in Jojo Rabbit - in costuming, cinematography, camera movement, dialogue delivery, and set decoration are striking. Not trying to imply he's got only one speed, or even that it's wrong to be influenced by another filmmaker's work (as Anderson himself is and everyone who made a film since L'Arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat has been), just that he's definitely trading on it in that instance, and if it's going to be some sort of head to head matchup in bozos like Wilson's eyes, it's very easy to determine who the better filmmaker is on every single level

Mr Sausage
Not PETA approved

#4056 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:45 pm

I mean, yes, as much as I enjoy Waititi's films, Anderson is plainly the superior filmmaker. But is it so surprising for someone to feel the opposite? One of the criticisms Anderson's films have always been open to is one of archness and artificiality. There are a lot of people who find his films downright fake and alienating. Waititi's films are conventionally pathos-laden, even sentimental, and exactly the kind of films general audiences would find touching and humane. This is not a ridiculous criticism so much as people's taste falling along conventional lines, just on the other side of the line that people tend to have if they post here.

Basically, I'm not outraged or confused when an outwardly finicky and particular filmmaker loses to someone a bit more populist and crowd-pleasing. Especially when the populist crowd-pleaser makes something as delightful as Hunt for the Wilderpeople