64 The Landlord

Discuss releases by Radiance and the films on them.
Finch

64 The Landlord

#1 Post by Finch » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:37 am

In 1970s Brooklyn, gentrification is already beginning to take hold in the predominantly black neighbourhood of Park Slope. Spoiled trust fund kid Elgar Enders (Beau Bridges) buys an apartment block in the area with the intention of evicting the tenants and building himself a bachelor pad. But upon moving in and unexpectedly befriending the inhabitants, he decides to let them stay and become their landlord. Rebelling against his rich, racist family, he embarks on affairs with two black women, causing uproar in the country clubs and the ghetto tenements of Park Slope alike. This outrageous satire marks the debut of Hal Ashby (Harold and Maude) as director, with a wicked script from Bill Gunn (Ganja & Hess) and stunning photography from Gordon Willis (The Godfather). The Landlord is a scabrous and unflinching look at race relations far ahead of its time, and a unique and important work in the annals of American screen comedy.

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES
2K transfer by Kino Lorber
Uncompressed mono PCM audio
The Racial Gap - An interview with star Beau Bridges (2019, 25 mins)
Reflections - An interview with star Lee Grant (2019, 26 mins)
Style and Substance - An interview with producer Norman Jewison (2019, 29 mins)
A new interview with Hal Ashby biographer Nick Dawson (2024)
An interview with broadcaster and author Ellen E. Jones (2024)
Trailer
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Vincent Wild
Limited edition booklet featuring new writing by critic Jourdain Searles, plus an archival piece with Hal Ashby

rapta

Re: The Landlord

#2 Post by rapta » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:00 am

So happy to see this announced, been suggesting it to basically any label with an MGM deal (but usually Eureka, figured they'd do it for MoC at several points and they never did). This was the 'TL' clue from the teaser list.

Never seen this as I was patiently waiting for a decent UK Blu-ray, and my patience looks like it paid off. Best transfer to date, plus plenty of great extras. A must for any Ashby fan, and Beau Bridges of course. Love the artwork they've gone for too, an immediate purchase from me.

Randall Maysin Again

Re: The Landlord

#3 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:34 am

Finch wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:37 am
stunning photography from Gordon Willis
haha. An interesting movie, though I think it's probably a testament to how bad Ashby was at eliciting worthy improvisation from his actors. The material is fairly strong in all of its quieter observational moments, but whenever it goes big, the whole thing really goes to hell, in an incongruous, jarring way that smacks of bad improv. Not that I know how the material, good or bad, was arrived at. I wonder if either of the two new interviews with focus at any great length on Bill Gunn or Diana Sands?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 64 The Landlord

#4 Post by swo17 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:47 pm

Fran has clarified that this is a UK-only release

ChunkyLover

#5 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:28 am

swo17 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:47 pm
Fran has clarified that this is a UK-only release
I'm surprised that Radiance hasn't tried to setup an MGM deal for the US. This would of been a fitting "debut" for a theoretical US deal since Kino let their release go OOP.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#6 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:07 pm

I took my never-quite-girlfriend to this back when it was newly-released and I was in high school. I have never really been tempted to re-watch this. ;-)