Barbie (Greta Gerwig, 2023)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
The Narrator Returns

Re: Barbie (Greta Gerwig, 2023)

#151 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:56 am

Black Hat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:50 am
Sorry, I hadn't read anything.
At least by starting with this, I know you're not intentionally being an asshole straight to my face, though even that's reliant on taking your word for it. If you didn't actually read, I can help clarify my position of why I took the movie seriously, but it seems you have no interest in the opinions of subhuman scum like me.

The Curious Sofa

#152 Post by The Curious Sofa » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:06 am

Black Hat wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:19 pm
The fact that people took this movie seriously on any level is the most baffling cultural happening of my lifetime.
...more importantly, did you invite your Senegalese friend to come along?

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#153 Post by Brian C » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:34 pm

Black Hat wrote:
...designed to elevate people with oatmeal coming out their ears to pick their noses believing every booger is gold.
I would say that this lacks empathy somewhat.

Or more precisely, this is really only true of people who spend all day on Twitter - the kinds of people who obsessively think all day about how art should only exist to make them feel special and validate their daily existence and apply weirdo purity tests to everything. Many such cases!

But people who just go to see movies because it's a fun night out seemed to like this kind of a lot. And you know, as I get older, more and more I come to realize that ... it's OK. Far worse manifestations of narcissism than liking Barbie.

Black Hat

#154 Post by Black Hat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:55 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:56 am
Black Hat wrote:
Sorry, I hadn't read anything.
At least by starting with this, I know you're not intentionally being an asshole straight to my face, though even that's reliant on taking your word for it. If you didn't actually read, I can help clarify my position of why I took the movie seriously, but it seems you have no interest in the opinions of subhuman scum like me.
You kinda made my point.

The Curious Sofa wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:06 am
Black Hat wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:19 pm
The fact that people took this movie seriously on any level is the most baffling cultural happening of my lifetime.
...more importantly, did you invite your Senegalese friend to come along?
No clue what this means but I am very surprised, and appalled, that forum mods notorious for issuing threats and bans over minor infractions are continuing to give your bigotry a pass.

Black Hat

#155 Post by Black Hat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:03 pm

Brian C wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:34 pm
Black Hat wrote:
...designed to elevate people with oatmeal coming out their ears to pick their noses believing every booger is gold.
I would say that this lacks empathy somewhat.

Or more precisely, this is really only true of people who spend all day on Twitter - the kinds of people who obsessively think all day about how art should only exist to make them feel special and validate their daily existence and apply weirdo purity tests to everything. Many such cases!

But people who just go to see movies because it's a fun night out seemed to like this kind of a lot. And you know, as I get older, more and more I come to realize that ... it's OK. Far worse manifestations of narcissism than liking Barbie.
What does this even mean dude? You're talking all sorts of nonsense, taking shots at a person for correctly pointing out Barbie is a commercial with no redeeming value. Why do you even feel the need to attack someone saying this? What's funny is what you're doing is a much better example of having Twitter Brain. Next time step away from the laptop for a bit before posting silliness of this sort, it's beneath you and I expect better.

Finch

#156 Post by Finch » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:29 pm

Guys, I'd really like to not have to lock this thread for a while. There was no need for it to take the turn it has over the last two days. This is directed at more than one person: let it go. Don't inflame the tension further. If you were thinking of writing an angry or outraged post in response to any of today's or yesterday's posts, don't. Really, don't. Channel your energy into something else, take a breath and step away from this thread. If you absolutely can't abide another contributor, put them on your foe list (yes, that's a thing; check your profile settings).

Monterey Jack

#157 Post by Monterey Jack » Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:54 am

That Barbie was nominated for anything other than Costume/Production Design (and maybe Song) is baffling to me. It's a perfectly pleasant, utterly disposable piece of corporate synergy that's mainly noteworthy for not being as aggressively awful as I expected. It's cute, lightly funny, but any attempts at profundity come across as lightweight and twee. Thirty years ago, it would have made a lot of money, and been about as critically well-received as something like The Flintstones.

The Curious Sofa

#158 Post by The Curious Sofa » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:13 pm

You need one or two blockbusters among the Best Picture nominations, films that people actually have seen, otherwise nobody will tune in. This year that movie was Barbie. It caught the Zeitgeist, was well reviewed and directed by a female director who is widely respected and it wasn't a superhero movie.