Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6376 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:03 am

Has Criterion ever refused to work with a director? I just read over in another thread about a boutique refusing to work with Michael Mann, Kino Classics. I have quite a few of their titles so I won’t criticize that decision too harshly but it made me curious if this was ever an issue for the CC.

therewillbeblus

#6377 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:09 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:03 am
Has Criterion ever refused to work with a director? I just read over in another thread about a boutique refusing to work with Michael Mann, Kino Classics. I have quite a few of their titles so I won’t criticize that decision too harshly but it made me curious if this was ever an issue for the CC.
Criterion kinda refused to work with Darran Aronofsky... but they also don't have an Insider freely posting on message boards without a filter. If they refused to work with a director, as I'm sure they've decided to do behind closed doors, we wouldn't hear about it. And that's just professionalism.

Before you judge KL too harshly: I believe Mann is notoriously difficult to work with on physical releases, with lots of revisionism, etc. - a similar rep to William Friedkin. KL just had a poor experience with Friedkin on Bug, so perhaps they're simply learning from experience and putting that into practice. At any rate, a better policy than just kissing WKW's feet as he does whatever he wants to precious art under your roof

flyonthewall2983

#6378 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:15 am

I don’t have much issue with the transparency on their part, I just wondered how common this is with directors.

Calvin

#6379 Post by Calvin » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:56 am

It probably stems from Kino having The Keep under licence and Mann refusing to facilitate its release.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#6380 Post by Buttery Jeb » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:51 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
I don't remember the context, but I do recall that Janus Films/Criterion had a thing about Werner Herzog; and that being the reason why none of his films were given a Criterion release.

kekid

#6381 Post by kekid » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:37 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:51 am
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
I don't remember the context, but I do recall that Janus Films/Criterion had a thing about Werner Herzog; and that being the reason why none of his films were given a Criterion release.
Does anyone know the reason Criterion has avoided Herzog?
It is really unfortunate that they passed on the Herzog box opportunity.

dwk

#6382 Post by dwk » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:02 pm

Regarding OCN/Vinegar Syndrome partner labels, Criterion has also licensed This Is Not a Burial, It’s a Resurrection from Dekanalog and Nothing but a Man from The Film Desk and I assume both of these were licensed after they became partner labels. (They also have a bunch of IFC titles but those were clearly licensed before it became an OCN partner label.)

As for director's that Criterion has seemingly rebuffed, Andrew Dominik's extended cut of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Tarsem said he approached them about doing The Fall and they weren't interested.

beamish14

#6383 Post by beamish14 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:04 pm

dwk wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:02 pm
Regarding OCN/Vinegar Syndrome partner labels, Criterion has also licensed This Is Not a Burial, It’s a Resurrection from Dekanalog and Nothing but a Man from The Film Desk and I assume both of these were licensed after they became partner labels. (They also have a bunch of IFC titles but those were clearly licensed before it became an OCN partner label.)

As for director's that Criterion has seemingly rebuffed, Andrew Dominik's extended cut of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Tarsem said he approached them about doing The Fall and they weren't interested.
I thought that WB trashed Dominik’s alternate cuts of Jesse James.

Criterion also turned down Martin Rosen’s The Plague Dogs after working on Watership Down, which is just moronic.

Prior to Oscilloscope picking it up, Tom Noonan practically begged Criterion to handle What Happened Was…. Another major head-scratching decision.

dwk

#6384 Post by dwk » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:17 pm

beamish14 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:04 pm
I thought that WB trashed Dominik’s alternate cuts of Jesse James.

Criterion also turned down Martin Rosen’s The Plague Dogs after working on Watership Down, which is just moronic.

Prior to Oscilloscope picking it up, Tom Noonan practically begged Criterion to handle What Happened Was…. Another major head-scratching decision.
I have no idea, I just recall Roger Deakins pushing for Criterion to release it. I also recall that James Flower tweeted that Arrow had asked WB about it back when they did the deal for Cruising and Alice Sweet Alice and WB said no, so maybe that is something that Arrow picked up now that they have a proper deal with WB.

As for the other two, I wonder if the just found doing Watership Down too much of a headache for some reason. And for the Noonan it could have been something as simple as their schedule was too full. I recall they have said that they try to get a film owned by a person out as quickly as possible compared to studio licensed titles.

Honestly, I think most of these situations probably boils down to them having so many titles under license that they have to turn down some quality films because they just don't have the time.

jwd5275

#6385 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 pm

kekid wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:37 pm
Buttery Jeb wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:
I always got the feeling it wasn't Herzog himself that was the issue, but the fact that he wanted his catalog out and available as quickly and completely as possible. He isn't willing to wait for the inevitable trickle of Criterion releases, nor willing the break a few gems out of a catalog package for Criterion to handle.

yoloswegmaster

#6386 Post by yoloswegmaster » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:15 pm

Janus is listed as the rightsholder for Cairo Station, and I was also able to confirm with the company that holds the rights to the films of Youssef Chahine that Criterion has the rights to around 20 of his films that have been restored.

RSTooley

#6387 Post by RSTooley » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:30 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Has Criterion ever refused to work with a director?
I wouldn't say that they refused to work with Ava Duvernay, but they passed on Middle of Nowhere according to the New York Times. Ava goes on to claim in this article that there wasn't a rights issue, but I don't recall Criterion releasing any Lionsgate films at the time. Becker immediately commented that he'd be willing to put out a special edition of the film. Who knows.

beamish14

#6388 Post by beamish14 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:36 pm

jwd5275 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 pm
kekid wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:37 pm
Buttery Jeb wrote:

I always got the feeling it wasn't Herzog himself that was the issue, but the fact that he wanted his catalog out and available as quickly and completely as possible. He isn't willing to wait for the inevitable trickle of Criterion releases, nor willing the break a few gems out of a catalog package for Criterion to handle.

Exactly. Anchor Bay released a large number of his titles in rapid succession. It’s an all-or-nothing thing with him

dwk

#6389 Post by dwk » Mon May 06, 2024 3:32 pm

Funny about the Herzog sets from Shout Factory is that there was an 8 year gap between Volume 1 (July 2014) and Volume 2 (June 2022). So it isn't like they really rushed them all out. (I assume that after the success of the Bergman set, Criterion would be more likely to go for a large box set release if a licensesor was pushing for it and it contained a number of titles they wanted to release.)