Second Sight Films (UK)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
yoloswegmaster

Re: Second Sight Films (UK)

#801 Post by yoloswegmaster » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:00 pm

Pre-order for Picnic at Hanging Rock:
SpoilerShow
Special Features:
A new Second Sight 4K restoration from the original camera negative supervised and approved by Director Peter Weir and Director of Photography Russell Boyd
Dual format 4 disc set featuring 2 UHDs and 2 Blu-rays both with bonus features
Includes restored versions of both Director's Cut and original Theatrical Cut
UHDs presented in HDR
Audio Commentary by film academics Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
A Lovely Day for a Picnic: a new interview with Actor Karen Robson
Finding the Light: a new interview with Cinematographer Russell Boyd
Crashing Through Boundaries: a new interview Camera Operator John Seale
Something Beyond Explanation: Thomas Caldwell on Picnic at Hanging Rock
A Dream Within a Dream feature length documentary
An interview with author Joan Lindsay
A Recollection: Hanging Rock 1900
Outtakes
Original long trailer

Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Thinh Dinh
Soft cover book with new essays by Daniel Bird, Kat Ellinger and Justine Smith, archive essay by Rebecca Harkins-Cross, Costume Gallery and features on the original marketing of the film and the new restoration
The original novel with exclusive cover art by Thinh Dinh
6 collectors' art cards

Rupert Pupkin

#802 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:57 pm

is there a trailer with the 4K restoration ? Just to see how different the new 4K restoration is in comparison to Criterion's Blu-Ray.
by the way, will the original theatrical cut still have the original David Hamilton'ian color grading ?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#803 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:00 pm

See the link shared one post down from the top of this page. It's going to look different. Hamilton is specifically mentioned as a reference point

Rupert Pupkin

#804 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:14 am

swo17 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:00 pm
See the link shared one post down from the top of this page. It's going to look different. Hamilton is specifically mentioned as a reference point
thanks. I tend to prefer the director's cut, but it's great if they have restored the original theatrical cut too.
This box set looks very tempting to say the least.
I wonder if Criterion has still the rights for this movie (since laserdisc they have it); and if they would release an UHD they would also upgrade the Blu-Ray; that, I'm not so sure.

I had bought The Witch and Walkabout (one of my favorite movie ever) (too bad that there was no UHD disk art that time for this Second Sight release).

ryannichols7

#805 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:50 am

as with all Criterion overlaps, Second Sight have very little overlap here but everything seems fantastic. I appreciate when these editions are complimentary - The Color of Pomegranates and Berlin Alexanderplatz certainly were, though of course the presentation on the SS was better for the latter, much like it will be here with an HDR grade. I do appreciate the novel's inclusion and everything else we get here, definitely preordering my first SS UHD title.

I remember when SS released Walkabout they said they didn't think sales could justify a UHD. I wonder if that would be the case now? I'd like to think the two films are somewhat equal in popularity, but maybe this isn't the case in the UK

Rupert Pupkin

#806 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:11 am

I remember I bought the Blu-Ray UK (was it already Second Sight ?) before Criterion box set came out. Which I have bought too. Each time I see this movie I used to play the Procol Harum album which "borrows" the classical piece of the soundtrack.
Regarding Walkabout, was it initially a movie produced by Apple ? (Jenny Agutter thought that she would meet the Beatles); way before George Harrison created HandMade Films.
I'm almost sure that this movie is famous in the UK.

Calvin

#807 Post by Calvin » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:01 am

I suspect that if they were releasing Walkabout now then they'd be releasing it on UHD but I doubt they'll go back and upgrade it

jsteffe

#808 Post by jsteffe » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:03 am

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:14 am
thanks. I tend to prefer the director's cut, but it's great if they have restored the original theatrical cut too.
This box set looks very tempting to say the least.
I wonder if Criterion has still the rights for this movie (since laserdisc they have it); and if they would release an UHD they would also upgrade the Blu-Ray; that, I'm not so sure.
Yes, Janus Films still has the rights to Picnic at Hanging Rock in the US. I don't know what further release plans they have for the film beyond the 2019 Blu-ray.

ryannichols7

#809 Post by ryannichols7 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:24 pm

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:11 am
I remember I bought the Blu-Ray UK (was it already Second Sight ?) before Criterion box set came out. Which I have bought too. Each time I see this movie I used to play the Procol Harum album which "borrows" the classical piece of the soundtrack.
Regarding Walkabout, was it initially a movie produced by Apple ? (Jenny Agutter thought that she would meet the Beatles); way before George Harrison created HandMade Films.
I'm almost sure that this movie is famous in the UK.
Calvin wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:01 am
I suspect that if they were releasing Walkabout now then they'd be releasing it on UHD but I doubt they'll go back and upgrade it
sounds about right, plus the LE sold out. I think that release was a case of the "wrong timing" since it was so early in terms of Second Sight doing UHDs. cause if they were to do an upgrade now, people would complain they just bought the BD LE (an Arrow move) and whatnot. I could see it getting an upgrade somewhere along the line, but certainly not a priority

I saw murmurs that Second Sight is planning to do Titane - does anyone know if there's any credibility to this? or just nonsense

rapta

#810 Post by rapta » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:42 pm

ryannichols7 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:24 pm
I saw murmurs that Second Sight is planning to do Titane - does anyone know if there's any credibility to this? or just nonsense
Just speculation, someone on Blu-ray.com keeps mentioning the lack of a home video release in different threads and not sure there's any evidence to say Second Sight are releasing it. UK rights are with Altitude, and the only title of theirs I can think of that was licensed by a boutique was Days of the Bagnold Summer (ANTI-WORLDS). Kinda surprised they didn't license a couple more in fact (Quentin Dupieux's Mandibles seems right up their street).

Anyway, I suppose it's possible they would be interested in licensing it, given that they did Ducournau's Raw, and also a number of New French Extremity titles are on the way; Haute Tension and Frontier(s) were both submitted to the BBFC with Second Sight as the distributor. Not to mention they'll be doing Cronenberg's Crimes of the Future as well, so Titane would tie all of that together quite nicely. But yeah, all depends if Altitude allow them to license it in the first place...

PS: Hoping if they do get an Altitude deal they also go for The Florida Project, which I'd love to upgrade if they ever did (I'm sure it'd be similarly great to their surprise release of Tangerine back in December, which I still need to pick up actually).

Calvin

#811 Post by Calvin » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:25 pm

It's more than speculation; Altitude said last year that a Blu-Ray release would be coming from Second Sight. There's just been no word since.

Finch

#812 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:50 pm

for fellow US buyers! Grindhouse has the Picnic LE for $62.99 before shipping but even with shipping figured in (which, for me, was $68 and some change), it was still only 55 pounds in today's conversion rate.

Grindhouse pre-order

dwk

#813 Post by dwk » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:55 pm

Geoff D over at the blu-ray forum seems to not be a fan of the Picnic at Hanging Rock restoration
What I will say is that I hope my cryptic comments have blown it out of all proportion (wouldn't be the first time) and that people will be happy with it.
...but if anyone else sees what I see on this restoration then you can bet I'll jump in to give it a good kicking! But not until after it's released :p

rapta

#814 Post by rapta » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:28 pm

Calvin wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:25 pm
It's more than speculation; Altitude said last year that a Blu-Ray release would be coming from Second Sight. There's just been no word since.
Oh wow, okay! Then I guess it is happening. My guess is their schedule is so jam-packed and as a project with lots of translation involved (interviews etc), it would likely take a bit longer than others. Second Sight often announce a title quite suddenly so it could be soon or later in the year, but if Altitude themselves are saying SS have it I'd take that as gospel. Also might be prepping it for UHD too which would obviously add more time to it too, though SS have been releasing a lot of 4K titles in quick succession.

What A Disgrace

#815 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:27 am

DiabolikDVD is preparing to ship my copy of Martin.

Finch

#817 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:42 am

I didn't much care for this film but at least fans will be getting a definitive 4k presentation that will render Severin's flawed disc redundant. I would love to see a 4k release of Upgrade even if the Digital Intermediate of the film was only finished at 2k as per imdb (the ARRIRAW files were 3.4k). Other films finished at 2k like Inglourious Basterds upscaled quite nicely. They also still have the licenses for Assault on Precinct 13, From Beyond, Reanimator and Streets of Fire so all those could be coming later this year (FB and SoF) or next year. The Hitcher is probably coming in July or August instead.

The essays on Martin were so good that I caved in and ordered the LE of Texas Chainsaw from Grindhouse (Orbit is no longer taking pre-orders).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#818 Post by tenia » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:08 pm

dwk wrote:Geoff D over at the blu-ray forum seems to not be a fan of the Picnic at Hanging Rock restoration
What I will say is that I hope my cryptic comments have blown it out of all proportion (wouldn't be the first time) and that people will be happy with it.
...but if anyone else sees what I see on this restoration then you can bet I'll jump in to give it a good kicking! But not until after it's released Image
I had a very quick glance at the BDs and wasn't too impressed by what I saw. I wouldn't surprised if it turns out to have been grain managed to some extent and then artificially regrained.

Finch

#819 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:10 pm

How did get you a peek a month from release? Have they already sent screeners out?

dwk

#820 Post by dwk » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:26 pm

Finch wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:42 am
They also still have the licenses for Assault on Precinct 13, From Beyond...
I''m not sure I'd expect From Beyond, since, correct me if I'm wrong, the only MGM title on UHD in the UK is Arrow's RoboCop. Which makes me wonder, since UHDs are region free, if MGM are making licensees license for all English language territories.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#821 Post by tenia » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:25 pm

Yes, the screeners for Hanging Rock have started being sent last week. I received mine (BD only) on March 27th.

Finch

#822 Post by Finch » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:41 pm

Thanks, Remy. That's disappointing to hear and please share more of your impressions when you've been able to see the entire film. I'll be holding on to my pre-order though for the inclusion of the theatrical cut and the novel but now I'm wondering if I should get a copy of the Criterion BD as well. EDIT: just checked because I couldn't remember. The Criterion BD does not have the theatrical, it seems, so it's redundant to me personally.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#823 Post by tenia » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:58 pm

It's just from a very quick glance though, and while I thought "this looks strange", I screened a few other spots and they all looked like it actually has very fine grain.

It did seem a tad strange looking though on this aspect, hence my feeling it might have been degrained and then fake regrained, which would explain why it seems OK but also not entirely. The grain looks too fine for something like a secondary source (like an IP) being used, and it hasn't to do with the diffuse look of the movie (not on the scenes I quickly looked at, anyway). So by elimination, that would be a fitting explanation.

I haven't compared it to the Criterion BD, which I expect it to be another story altogether.

Release date is May 1st though and I have lots of other stuff to watch since then, so I might not watch it very soon, but will report once I do.

bad future

#824 Post by bad future » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:35 pm

In that panel on the restoration presented at Il Cinema Ritrovato last year, they said that grain management was used in a select few sections featuring duplicate elements, particularly the title sequence and some of the "psychedelic moments on the rock" but only in those instances. Otherwise they say it was restored from the negative (whereas the restoration on the Criterion blu was from an interpositive) but because of the natural lighting and slow film stock it's "definitely not a grainy film." Assuming they were being candid then, I hope there wasn't additional detrimental tinkering since then!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#825 Post by tenia » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:28 am

bad future wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:35 pm
In that panel on the restoration presented at Il Cinema Ritrovato last year, they said that grain management was used in a select few sections featuring duplicate elements, particularly the title sequence and some of the "psychedelic moments on the rock" but only in those instances. Otherwise they say it was restored from the negative (whereas the restoration on the Criterion blu was from an interpositive) but because of the natural lighting and slow film stock it's "definitely not a grainy film." Assuming they were being candid then, I hope there wasn't additional detrimental tinkering since then!
I had a more thorough look at the film yesterday evening, and it's definitely weird looking. If anything, it confirmed (IMO) that the movie has been as a whole DNRed to some extent (ie not just during the more dupey moments - title sequence + psychedelic edits with overlapping images), and that at least part of the DNRed scenes have then been most likely artificially re-grained.

I'm likely to do the comparative caps with the Criterion BD this weekend (I'm quite certain the second pass on my computer to do the caps will reveal I was absolutely wrong when looking at it on my TV, but I'm curious to seize more precisely what has advanced from the older master, as I'm sure there still has been an improvement), but the possibly-regrained shots are best described (to me) as excessively smooth shots with a fake digital grain emulation on top, not unlike a movie digitally shot that received a fake grain emulation in post.

My issues are that :
* the grain doesn't look like 35mm OCN grain. I've seen hundreds of proper 35mm OCN 4K restorations, grainy movies and not grainy movies, to the point I can pretty much guess just by looking at a restoration at which resolution it was performed and what element was used (because yes, no matter what people say about this : 35mm OCN 4K restorations look like... 35mm OCN 4K restorations). This doesn't look like any of those, but like a smooth movie with fake grain on top. It's not organic, and thus quite displeasing to look at (though I'm certain YMWV (Your Mileage Will Vary) on this). It shouldn't = not normal.
* it doesn't change the underlying smoothness of the picture. Many shots feel like they have the resolution and details of an old HD master from a US studio (but with fine grain on top). In particular, faces in mid-to-close shots show too few details compared to what one would expect from such a workflow. Again, it's not organic to look at, which it shouldn't be (= nor normal).
* many shots just look like they're DNRed full stop. They look digitally smoothed, possibly with a touch of EE also, and don't look "slightly" grain management but intensely so. Shots with faces in them aren't far from showing waxy faces and wouldn't stand particularly out in a 20 years old HD master or a movie shot on digital. They shouldn't = not normal.
* extension to the last point : the movie looks weird straight from the opening credits, but I never include these segments when judging a restoration since I know there usually are explanations for this... except here, even the opening credits look weirdly digital (and not just dupey), but the movie just, well, go on looking like this. It would be logical for a movie to have the same look from opening credits to finish if the restoration was performed from an IP, but it's not anymore when the restoration is based on the OCN (except when the textless-OCN is used for the credits and the credits are recreated digitally, but otherwise, you have different look). Not logical = not normal. (Edit : comparing with the Criterion discs : it looks like the opening credits are newly recreated ones).

While it's definitely not a Wake in Fright trainwreck (though it might be debated that the lower-lit shots actually aren't far from it), it's another restoration from Australia that makes me weary of whatever is coming from there.

PS : DC and TC presentations are pretty much identical (chapter stops are even placed at the same points in both cuts).