332 Viridiana

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
justeleblanc

#101 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:17 am

Does anyone know when Miramax will lose the rights to Belle de jour? I'm sure it will have to happen at some point.

FilmFanSea

#102 Post by FilmFanSea » Tue May 02, 2006 1:01 am

justeleblanc wrote:Does anyone know when Miramax will lose the rights to Belle de jour? I'm sure it will have to happen at some point.
What's sad is that Criterion already HAS a working relationship with Miramax. I can't imagine that Buena Vista would be too protective of the licensing rights to this "obscure" French art film. I suspect that Criterion has chosen to concentrate on the Buñuel films it already has the rights to (via Janus/Rialto).

First review is up at Slant Magazine:
God bless The Criterion Collection for bringing Viridiana to DVD but damn the condition of the original negative. As usual, the company has meticulously removed thousands of instances of dirt, debris, and scratches from the duplicate negative they struck. The work shows, and this is a lovely transfer for the most part, boasting strong blacks and very little in the way of edge enhancement, but some scenes are marred by vertical lines, suggesting perhaps an angry censor shredded the film using a crown of thorns.

justeleblanc

#103 Post by justeleblanc » Tue May 02, 2006 1:56 am

I'll hold him with a grain of salt, this Ed Gonzalas guy. The print I saw on TCM a year ago was great and my guess Criterion used the same print.

Gigi M.

#104 Post by Gigi M. » Sat May 06, 2006 3:39 pm

Gregory

#105 Post by Gregory » Sat May 06, 2006 3:51 pm

I'll be interested to hear the interview with Richard Porton and to hear what he has to say and how he says it. While I haven't read Cineaste very frequently I bought Porton's book Film and the Anarchist Imagination out of interest in the book's subject and have read the sections on the films I've seen. It's a worthwhile read but I was a little put off by the book's dour tone and at times stilted prose.
Has he done any other interviews or commentary tracks before this?

justeleblanc

#106 Post by justeleblanc » Fri May 12, 2006 12:37 pm

I'm really dying for this release more than anything. Let's hope Best Buy releases it a week earlier than they should again.

thethirdman

#107 Post by thethirdman » Fri May 12, 2006 6:29 pm

Best Buy may not be carrying this one in stores. Usually they list the Criterions that they will be carrying as "coming soon" on their website prior to the release date as they did with the recent Malle releases, The 400 Blows, and Mr. Arkadin. However, they list Viridiana as "not available." This was the status of The Children Are Watching Us, La bete humaine, and Fists in the Pocket. I have not seen them in Best Buy stores.

Anonymous

#108 Post by Anonymous » Sat May 13, 2006 7:58 am

Paying 40 bucks is kind of worth it if they give Virdiana a proper release much like they've given other Bunuel pics. It's better than the early spine numbers of Bergman and others when Criterion was finding its own. I'm very excited for the release.

daniel p

#109 Post by daniel p » Tue May 16, 2006 6:38 am

HerrSchreck

#110 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue May 16, 2006 11:09 am

Early copy. Looks quite good except for one point early on in Viridiana's arrival to her uncle's estate where another, generational, flat-contrasted print was used-- why this scene was missing from the negative they used for their telecine I have no idea, but it's the only sore spot for a film whose prints were buried, smuggled in plastic bags, hidden in farms, confiscated relentlessly like DEEP THROAT. The Savant review which beefs on the image quality is nitpicking: it's the digitizing of peoples minds where they want everything to look supersharp & supercrisp like digicam made yesterday without nicks & light scratches & without any of the inherent softness of celluloid.

CC continues it's odd process of slicing vintage extras up and giving you only pieces: the Cineastes Notre Temps episode has been excerpted for extracts (like some of Kobayashi material was not presented in full, etc) rather than run from start to finish which irks me. The fucking interviews with Bunuel are some of the most compelling talks with a director I've ever seen, period, and I certainly wish I could have seen it from start to finish. Editing the episode was clearly done to keep them from having to either compromise on bitrate, or having to put it on a 2nd disc, which I far would have preferred. If DAZED & CONFUSED can warrant a 2-disc set, or EQUINOX, then surely what is perhaps Bunuel's masterpiece can afford the 75 cents or so in cost-increase for packaging the thing in a double-case as well as the extra DVD, which couldve even been a dvd5.

The POrton interview is decent, very levelheaded & humble in his opinion-presentation, and the Pinal interview is a gas. Again though, the high point of the extras is the Cineastes episode-- and the magnificent Bunuel interview. The guy had me rolling. The booklet included is huge-- miracle the clips didn't bust a la KING OF KINGS. Editing-nitpicking aside, a little package of pricelessness for 25 bucks. Must-own. Even if you've never seen, it, blind-buy it. The beggars banquet sequence will, if nothing else moves you, remain with you until your deathbed.

One scene sums up the film in a nutshell for me. For those who know, I'll leave it cryptic for those who don't:

Cousin buys the dog to relieve it; as he turns away another dog in the same disposition. This futility which confronts each thinking person each morning upon waking, and the finding of reasons to go on nontheless.... love this movie, speaks fabulously to the uselessness of so many of the best motivations in life and the mystery of judgement and decision, and finding motivation nontheless. As well as hints of something else at the end which I find magnificent: (SPOILER ALERT):

Pinal elaborates on the ending by recounting conversations with Bunuel viz what is happening here, where Viridiana sits down to play cards with her cousin: that Viridiana is giving up on the impossible moral woods of Christian charity, which makes little difference in the overall and the long-run (life is moral chaos post-Moses/Jesus/Buddha/Mohammed, so little hope for the pious young lady's efforts to manufacture sincere hearts), and which does little, especially in the face of honest examination of personal reward when unflinchingly admitting to herself the near impossibility of overcoming the condescention & patronization for the person she is in the minds of her charity recipients. In this crushing disappontment & disillusionment & late-discovery of her being a victim of patronization (and rape, psychologically & physically) of cunning impoverished street-hustlers & poor folk Viridiana very closely resembles the female protagonist in TWILIGHT OF A WOMANS SOUL by Bauer. In discussions w Pinal Bunuel explained to the slightly disconcerted-with-the-ending actress that Viridiana is not shaming herself in entering into a sexual relationship with Jorge... she is becoming real, growing up, becoming a functional human being by planting healthy and natural seeds that will actually grow. That is, engaging with life, tilling real soil, sowing real seeds, allowing her body and her mind real intercourse with the world, rather than hiding in an impossible fantasy world where she is living a saintly fantasy while dooming herself to being forever hustled by those she would seek to prosletyse. Upon entering the real world, working the earth in her uncles (now-her's) farm, allowing her body to find a place in life, she has found her way to serve god honorably and propagate life, and successfully and actually add goodness to the world. The sanctity and profundity of these simple pleasures, particularly when measured against the obtuse fantasy-world of the missionary-mindset and absurdity of the belief in the spiritual truth of their endeavors, is real good food for the soul, head & genitalia.

jorencain

#111 Post by jorencain » Tue May 16, 2006 12:21 pm

As excited as I have been for this release, you now have me waiting by my mailbox in the hopes that it will arrive at any moment. I cannot wait to get it, and now I'm extremely excited about the Bunuel interviews.

stroszeck

#112 Post by stroszeck » Tue May 16, 2006 9:12 pm

GREAT transfer, and I honestly don't mind all that much that its only a single discer, because I got my fill of bunuel on the Discreet DVD. Now all I need is Tristana and a bit of Nazarin and El and I can die peacefully.

justeleblanc

#113 Post by justeleblanc » Wed May 17, 2006 11:08 am

stroszeck wrote:GREAT transfer, and I honestly don't mind all that much that its only a single discer, because I got my fill of bunuel on the Discreet DVD. Now all I need is Tristana and a bit of Nazarin and El and I can die peacefully.
Don't forget Exterminating Angel and Milky Way. Maybe you'll resurrect yourself for those releases?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#114 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 29, 2006 12:02 am

this is definitely the best Bunuel film I've seen yet, and as much as I was a fan of the previous cover, I must say that the new cover is more appropriate after having seen the film.

justeleblanc

#115 Post by justeleblanc » Mon May 29, 2006 1:54 am

domino harvey wrote:this is definitely the best Bunuel film I've seen yet, and as much as I was a fan of the previous cover, I must say that the new cover is more appropriate after having seen the film.
And is it me or is Silvia Pinal tied with Theresa Russell and Barbra Stanwyck for being the sexiest ladies to grace Criterion DVDs??

Cinesimilitude

#116 Post by Cinesimilitude » Mon May 29, 2006 12:03 pm

Cardinale, Vitti, Sandrelli... the Italians trump all when it comes to sexy.

justeleblanc

#117 Post by justeleblanc » Mon May 29, 2006 12:44 pm

SncDthMnky wrote:Cardinale, Vitti, Sandrelli... the Italians trump all when it comes to sexy.
Different strokes for Gary Coleman.

It's hard for me to fantisize about Vitti, I feel like she wouldn't be paying attention to me in bed -- she'd be too busy seeing how empty I was, or how empty she was.

But I do love how Bunuel shows the nun-to-be's legs and she's undressing, and the general turning her into a sex object.

bunuelian

#118 Post by bunuelian » Mon May 29, 2006 7:14 pm

A very pleasing release. The Cineastes de Notre Temps stuff is quite excellent and a nice thing to have available, despite being truncated. It would be interesting to know how much was cut from the original - anyone know how long the original was?

The Pinal interview doesn't reveal anything new, but it's nice to have just the same.

The transfer is enormously pleasing. A huge improvement over my VHS version, that's for sure!

Each telling of this film's circumstances is a little different. It's hard to nail down the truth about a lot of different aspects. For example, Pinal says that Bunuel invented the ending, while at least one other telling indicates that the censor suggested it. The censor origin has always tickled my fancy - the censor might have known full well what he was suggesting. But perhaps that explanation isn't accurate. One thing that becomes immediately clear with things like this is how quickly memory changes.

Lino

#119 Post by Lino » Tue May 30, 2006 7:33 am

justeleblanc wrote:It's hard for me to fantisize about Vitti, I feel like she wouldn't be paying attention to me in bed -- she'd be too busy seeing how empty I was, or how empty she was.
You really need to check out Modesty Blaise. Your opinion of Vitti will change dramatically!

Anonymous

#120 Post by Anonymous » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:43 am

My, Viridiana was quite a thrill, but really, does it matter if Belle de Jour has a different release? It's quite lovely as it is, and expect that a multitide of extras will change anything.

Gigi M.

#121 Post by Gigi M. » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:02 am

Miss Rhonda wrote:My, Viridiana was quite a thrill, but really, does it matter if Belle de Jour has a different release? It's quite lovely as it is, and expect that a multitide of extras will change anything.
I'm just pleased that Belle de Jour is available on dvd.

GringoTex

#122 Post by GringoTex » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:19 am

Miss Rhonda wrote:My, Viridiana was quite a thrill, but really, does it matter if Belle de Jour has a different release? It's quite lovely as it is, and expect that a multitide of extras will change anything.
Are you referring to the Miramax Belle de Jour? That disc is an abomination.

Cobalt60

#123 Post by Cobalt60 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:07 pm

I can't look at that Viridiana last supper scene without wanting to give Bunuel a big thankful kiss on the lips

justeleblanc

#124 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:44 pm

Langlois68 wrote:
Are you referring to the Miramax Belle de Jour? That disc is an abomination.
My hope is that Miramax will lose the rights to it shortly. The subtitles are so annoying.

bunuelian

#125 Post by bunuelian » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:24 pm

davidhare wrote:Viridiana must be the last great sigh of Bunuel's sublime Mexican period, despite being made in Spain.
Don't forget Exterminating Angel (1962). I wholeheartedly agree that his Mexican period is not to be missed, and the unity of his filmography rewards a broad and deep study. Everyone should pick up the El/Archibaldo double feature disc always on sale on ebay - the transfers are good and the films tremendous.

I'm surprised you rank Nazarin among his weakest efforts, in part because I've also been slow to see what the critics find so great about the film. But then, I've always been slow to appreciate things. I've warmed to it after reading some analysis that puts it in better context for me as an atheist without much Christian background. It certainly rewards repeated viewings, like most of his films.